Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Walnut Raisin Coleslaw

**Make the night before**

This is from my new gluten-free cookbook I got for Christmas. I discovered that I do not care for fresh cranberries so I renamed the recipe since I won't add cranberries in my next batch(original name is Cranberry Mandarin Coleslaw with Walnuts and Raisins). But I will tell you it is an awesome winter salad! Here is the original recipe and you can doctor to your tastes...

3 C. shredded red or green cabbage
2 C. shredded carrots
1 C. chopped celery (I chopped very fine since I don't care for it but has amazing health benefits)
1/2 C. chopped green onions
1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 C. raisins
1/2 C. raw green pumpkin seeds (pepitas - I bought roasted, unsalted but might try roasting my own next time or just getting roasted, salted)
1/2 C. fresh cranberries
1/2 C. walnut halves
6 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C. brown or natural rice vinegar
1 can (10 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained (I used fresh navel oranges and still good)

1. Combine cabbage, carrots, celery and green onions in large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
2. Toss in raisins, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, and walnuts. Mix well.
3. In small bowl, whisk oil and vinegar.
4. Add to salad and toss well to coat.
5. Top with oranges and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment