Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mediterranean Rice Salad

The thing I love about salads, whether they are green or grain, is that the possibilities are endless! I got this recipe out of the Recipeology book that I gave Molly and Jontie... it's on page 24. I modified for ingredients I had on hand but can't wait to make the actual recipe below:

1 tsp. salt
2 c. COOKED long grain rice (I used Jasmine)
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp. fresh, minced oregano
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 c. chopped spinach leaves
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1/2 -1 c. chopped kalmata olives
1 c. crumbled feta

Cook rice according to package directions. Fluff with fork. Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, salt, oregano, ground pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic. Add warm rice and toss to coat. Add spinach and let sit until mixture is no longer steaming. Add remaining ingredients and toss to evenly combine. Serve at room temp or chilled.

My version excluded red pepper, spinach and olives because I didn't have them on hand and I added tomato to get some nutritional value. But the dressing with the jasmine was really good! So have fun experimenting...

No comments:

Post a Comment